Let them be little.

It has been a year since I've been present in this space and, man, it has been a year indeed.

Tomorrow marks two years of owning Pine Knoll; It is hard to even believe it has been that long but at the same time it feels like this is just what my life has been forever. Over the last year the Lord has carried this school through some rocky times but He has increased our territory in and through it all in the most beautiful way and I cannot wait to see what He has in store for our future as well. 

As this anniversary of sorts has been approaching I've been reflecting on the past year. There are so many things I've learned, through good things and not so good things, but one thing that hits harder  than most of the lessons is that we should embrace not being perfect instead of fearing it. One thing that I have witnessed in my four year old class especially is the fear of messing up, being wrong, or making a mistake.






Some of my kids would rather not try than risk "failure".
Some would rather not do something for fear of embarrassment. 
Some would rather turn away and hide because of the shame of making a mistake.
Some would rather not ask for help because that is scary to them.

Y'ALL. They are four years old. They have been alive for four short years. So, how have we, as the generations that came before them contributed to this tragedy? I realize that's a strong word but that is exactly what it is. A tragedy. They had to learn this pattern of behavior from someone and that is an epidemic in this society that needs to END. It starts with US and it starts today.

Lord, help me not be a teacher that they witness being afraid to try because I don't want to fail. One who is willing to try even I'm not sure I can do it. One who rises above shame and walks in the truth. One who is willing to ask for help and know that's more than okay. 

I'm stomping all over my own toes in this. And it hurts.

Perfection is a myth but it is something I have strived for since I was the age of these kids are now. If I'm honest, I still struggle with this today. I don't want to be seen as one who fails. One who isn't successful at something. One who can't figure a problem out. 

Sometimes my kids say, but I'm just 4 years old, I can't do this.

In some situations that is truth, and rightfully so, because there are some things that kids just should not be subjected to, experience or do, but I am talking about the situations here where age should not matter.

Like, when one says, "I'm just four, no one cares what I feel." or when another says, "I don't like it when ______ does ______ to me but I can't say anything because it won't matter." or when one of them throws their crayon in frustration because "their letters aren't perfect."

This wave of shame is as bad of an epidemic as cancer. Hear me out. I am in no way making light of physical cancers, that steal lives from people, but I am saying that this is the equivalent in that it is emotional cancer. If not corrected, this can be detrimental.

Shame. Lack of hope. Fear of failure. Desire for perfection. Doubting that their voice matters.

These things steal lives, destroy dreams, and are the culprit behind so many insecurities for kids, teenagers and even adults.

But why? Why is this?
Who teaches these things?
Has it just become so normal that we're desensitized?
Do we even realize the severity of the issue at hand?

Let them be little.

This started as just a quote that I loved but it has quickly become my heart for this school. The Lord has poured this into my heart and revealed to be the areas that needed to be changed in my life to STOP my negative influence in this area. Now, granted, it's not a one time fix and I learn daily but I am further along in this than I've ever been and my prayer is that these kids go to school knowing that is more than okay to:

Ask for help.
Make mistakes. 
Try and not succeed at first. 
Speak up for yourself.
Admit you're scared.
Feel the way you do. 

Adults. Parents. Teachers.

This is a lesson we all can benefit from learning, embracing, and walking in.

May we be the ones who stand and make a difference for generations to come.
May we be the ones that slay the shame and walk forward in courage, no matter what. 
May we be the ones who the kids see are NOT afraid to try and not succeed because failure isn't final.
May we be the ones who ask for help when its needed without being embarrassed by our humanity.
May we be the ones who let children be little and don't intentionally or not force them to grow up too quickly. 
May we be the ones who hold them when they cry but encourage them to stand back up and try again. 
May we be the constant voice of truth, life and encouragement in their lives. 

Let it begin with us - in our lives - and may the ripple effects spread throughout our families, communities, and schools in a way that changes this world for the better and puts an end to this epidemic. 

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity or cowardice or fear, but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of sound judgment and personal discipline [abilities that result in a calm, well-balanced mind and self-control].
2 Timothy 1:7


Until next time, 
Love wins, 
Miss Megan


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

love wins.

a better tomorrow.

prospering through a pandemic